14 June 2010

Excursion a Barrio Chino

Chinese peepo are everywhere! Including Buenos Aires! Sunday morning, I took a quick ride over to Barrio Chino (less than 15 minutes en bicicleta). I'd been needing to stock up on my Chinese-vegetarian basics: chili paste, veggie oyster sauce, fried wheat gluten, coconut milk that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, asian leafy greens, and of course, tofu tofu and more tofu (baked, silken, dried, fried, and fresh, Chinese-style soymilk too!).
The best part of the morning though was getting my pseudo-Mandarin-speaking ego stroked by the lady behind the tofu shop counter. We had been chopping it up in Chinese for a few minutes when she asked, and where in China are you from? (Haha! My American-Born-Chinese accent had fooled her!) She then seemed genuinely impressed that this ABC could actually pull off a conversation in our native tongue. Well, more likely, she has just never met an ABC in her life (including all the ones that are mad fluent), but my choppy, little-kid Mandarin will take what compliments it can get. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment